Texas school shooting brings students back to reality

Tony Gutierrez of AP News

Parents awaiting for children after news of shooting.

By: Brayden Harper
Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs
Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Oct. 6, police were informed of a fight that broke out at 9:10 in the morning, which then led to a gun being drawn.
Shots were fired, three people were injured with gunshot wounds, and taken to the hospital. One is in critical condition, while the other two are in good condition.
A teacher was also trampled, but was treated at the scene and is alright. The gunman, Timothy George Simpkins, was later identified and taken into custody, posted with a $75,000 bond.
“So when I was looking at my phone, all I can see was, ‘We hiding, they shooting at the school,” a parent of a student who was in the school at the time of the shooting said.
This puts a lot into perspective, online school did away with school shootings but in-person school now brings back reality. The reality of kids not being able to feel safe at school for the fear of a supposed safe haven being attacked.
Simpkins’ family was interviewed shortly after the news and stated that the son was often bullied, harassed, and even robbed. The family felt that the choice of bringing a gun to school is clearly the wrong decision, but that the student was acting in defense and taking action. Also bringing up the question of whether the student did or didn’t talk to the school about these issues, and whether the school did anything about it.
“The decision he made, taking the gun, we are not justifying that. That was not right…..But he was trying to protect himself. We hope the police department does the investigation properly,” a family member of Simpkins, Carol Lafayette said.
This brings up an important lesson for schools and students, and that students need to speak up.