Students march into ACT boot camp

Valentina Medina

Students that attend the ACT boot camp will be given packets to work through and will be advised to purchase an ACT Prep Guide book.

By: Valentina Medina
Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs
Staff writer

The 20 hour ACT boot camp held at Centennial on Jan 21-23 allows students to get a head start at improving their ACT scores for college admissions and scholarships.
Nevada requires juniors to take the ACT, and this year it will take place on March 1st. However, students may register for the test on their own and take it anytime throughout the year by visiting http://www.actstudent.org/.
Centennial is partnering with Tutors Across America to provide students with a discounted ACT weekend boot camp that will go over tricks and trips to achieving the perfect score. This camp is specialized for juniors, but students of all ages are allowed to attend.
“I am attending the ACT boot camp because it will help me get more skills and it will help me with the fundamentals that will hopefully help increase my score overall,” sophomore, Heidy Ojedas said.
The weekend-long camp begins on Friday, Jan. 21st, 4:00-8:30 p.m., and students will take the ACT to see their starting scores and where they can improve. The hours on Saturday and Sunday are from 9:00 am- 6:00 pm with an hour lunch break from 1:00-2:00 pm. The cafeteria will be closed, so students are advised to bring a lunch, or if they have a ride, they may leave campus and return at 2:00 pm.
“I feel like the ACT boot camp is really long, it takes up too much time out of my weekend, and the boot camp goes up to 9 hours, which is very stressful. It will make my brain hurt, meaning I won’t function that well due to all of the thinking and processing!” Ojedas said.
This boot camp averages about a 3-7 point improvement per student, proving that students who attend are more likely to score higher on the ACT and jump a 20-40 percentile point in simply one weekend. By going over the test and giving tips along the way, students get more exposure to the ACT and how to complete it successfully.
“They broke down every piece of the test and showed me how to work through math and English. They showed me different tips for different parts of the test. English, for example, they told me what specific things they’re going to test you on, so they told me how to answer those questions,” senior, Salome Medina said.