Centennial High School's Student Newspaper

Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs

Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs

Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs

NJROTC’s Under the Sea Winter Ball

This is a photo of the dance floor and the light marquee with the dance theme, Under The Sea
Rylie Fitzgerald
This is a photo of the dance floor and the light marquee with the dance theme, “Under The Sea”

NJROTC’s Under the Sea Winter Ball
By: Abrianna Finks
Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs
Staff Writer

Centennial High School’s Navy Junior ROTC program held its annual winter ball on Dec. 6th. This event is a cadet-planned formal dance in which the program rents the Santa Fe ballroom and decorates it according to a theme. The 2023 winter ball theme was Under the Sea. The main colors for this event are blue, purple, and silver. All the males and females come in formal attire with floor-length dresses, suits, and ties; some come in service uniforms.
This event took months of planning and the project manager was Cadet Lieutenant Junior Grade Hurtado assisted by Cadet Command Master Chief Murphy and Cadet Ensign Finks. Instructor Master Chief Lyle is the leader of the execution of the event. He orchestrates the overall financing, meal planning, and decorating.
“I went with the planning committee to the Santa Fe casino and spoke with a designer, and we designed the lighting, colors, and table setup,” Angelina Hurtado said.
To maintain the military discipline the program enforces, there will be a standard dress code. The dresses can not have high slits, lower back or cleavage cuts, solid fabric, or be at least knee length. The shirts must be button up or suit and long sleeves with a professional look while the pants must be slacks. The shoes may be sandals, heels, or dress shoes. The Battalion Chief Master at Arms and the Company Senior Chiefs will be the enforcers of the dress code and those in violation will be turned away.
Tickets were sold until November 29 and over 150 were sold. There was a specialized DJ and photographer for the dance; both have been present at past winter balls. The menu has Chicken Francaise, New York Steak, and Baked Salmon with salads and potatoes for sides and a dessert of Cheesecakes, Chocolate Cake, and Lemon Bars.
Many freshman cadets said the event was more interesting than homecoming, some seniors say it is better than prom and the best dance they’ve experienced over their high school career.