Centennial High School's Student Newspaper

Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs

Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs

Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs

Join Sociology

Madison Monsay
Mrs. Brown: Join Sociology!

Join Sociology
Madison Monsay
Bark! Voice of the Bulldogs
Staff Writer

Sociology studies the development, structure, functioning, and social interaction of human society. This subject has been around since the late 1700s, officially introduced by Auguste Comte. Studying sociology can be beneficial for those who want to specialize in education, social work, human resources, and more careers.

Sociology is one of the many electives that is offered at Centennial High School, and is available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors. It is one of the two electives studying humans. Sociology and Psychology are commonly confused, “Psychology is the study of the individual and the mind. Sociology is the study of the people in society,” states Mrs. Brenda Brown, the sociology teacher here at Centennial.

Brown has been teaching sociology for five years. “I think that sociology is so important because the topics that we discuss are relevant to our everyday lives,” Brown said. In sociology, students would learn new things about society. The class has discussions and gets to read texts that go more in-depth about the socialization process of everyday life.

There are multiple regular sociology classes where students can get the opportunity to gain an understanding of these matters. Centennial also offers a UNR Sociology course, giving scholars a chance to gain college credit. Brown said, “everything that makes up society such as: religion, crime, gender, and family are just a few of the issues that we discuss. Sociology is relevant to everyone.”